Friday, November 6, 2015

Counseling & Mental Health Services at Penn

So this is my first time writing a blog, and I'm excited to have the opportunity to represent Penn's Graduate School of Education and write about my experience in the Counseling & Mental Health Services (CMHS) program. Over the past two months, I've really grown to love my new home, classes, professors, and classmates. So far Penn has provided me with a dynamic education, enriching courses, a challenging practicum experience, and many opportunities for essential personal and professional development. 

Right now, as it is the middle of the semester, our workload has been picking up and we have a ton of papers due in the next two weeks. Although it will definitely be a challenge to balance this increase in schoolwork with all my other obligations, it's great that our assignments are actually very interesting and useful for my future as a mental health counselor. For example, in my Group Counseling class, we are creating our own group therapy plan based on a specific theoretical approach. I'm finding it really exciting to be completing hands-on, practical projects that mimic the real world work I will be doing post-graduation. 

Speaking of life after graduation, the professors in our department held an information session on applying to psychology doctoral programs last night. While I had previously researched and already knew a lot of the information they discussed, I know that a lot of students in my program found the panel extremely helpful. The professors come from a myriad of different educational and clinical training backgrounds, so it was interesting to hear their individual perspectives on higher education and career choices in the field of counseling & psychology. The panel was also super helpful in describing the career paths that graduates of the CMHS program have taken in the past. 

This photo is from the informational handout they gave us at the event, and it details the job opportunities that some of our graduates have received. I love that our program is helpful in preparing us for our future, both in graduate school and in the work world.

If any of you are considering Penn's CMHS program and have any questions, feel free to reach out to me - I'd love to help & tell you more about my experience so far at Penn GSE!

No comments:

Post a Comment